Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Made by You Monday -- Variation on a Theme

Last Monday after I posted about bean soup I decided to fix a pot. I didn't have the usual fixings, so I decided to wing it. This is the variation on last week's recipe, but I really liked it, so you get soup again this Monday!


2 cups dry beans, soaked overnight or quick soaked (I use a blend of 5 or 6 of my favorite beans; you can also buy bean soup mix on the bean/rice aisle in the grocery -- just throw out the seasoning packet!)
2 quarts broth (I usually use chicken or vegetable, but you could use water and bouillon cubes in a pinch!)
2 cans original Rotel
1 pkg. Little Smokies, cut into quarters (I like the all beef)

Drain beans from overnight soak. Place all ingredients in dutch oven or slow cooker. If using a dutch oven, bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for at least 2 hours. Check periodically to make sure the liquid level is good. Add water or broth if needed. Check bean tenderness to make sure soup is ready.

If using a slow cooker, follow manufacturers instructions. In my 6-qt. slow cooker I usually set it on low and let it cook all day (8-5).

Garnish with cheese and serve with cornbread or muffins.



Serves 6-8 the way we eat it. You might get more or less depending on how much people like it!



for more goodness or to link up go to Made by You Mondays

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.