Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Musings

The last couple of weeks have been harder than usual (I wonder how many times I've started a post this way?). 
I had a flashback during yoga that brought some new, but not surprising information. Another attack that I pushed to the bottom of the pile. It's brought with it a lot of pain, tears, and consternation. I am tired of dealing with the abuse. I am tired of the inequity of it all. I am tired of self-doubt and self-recriminations. But so it goes.
For years I've talked and thought about boundaries. We all have to set them to protect ourselves. I struggle with how boundaries and Christianity go hand in hand. I look to find boundaries in Christ's life and work. He certainly walked away from some situations, but I am no Christ. It is much harder to trust my own judgment than to trust His. So I seek advice from trusted friends who are Christian, and I test what they tell me through prayer and deep consideration. I take comfort in the realization that they mostly tell me the same thing -- It is appropriate to protect myself from people who continually hurt me, even if it's not malicious; even if they say they love me. They can love me and still do and say really hurtful things. I have pointed this out to these people on many occasions but they seem incapable of making a change.
This weekend I made a change. I honestly told them that I need a break from them. It's just too hard trying to maintain the relationship while knowing they are maintaining a close relationship with one of the abusers. 
I did it by phone. I didn't cry or scream or threaten or throw accusations. I simply stated that I was having a really hard time with another flashback and knowing that they still welcome this person into their home was making it hard for me to talk with them.
I said I'd let them know when it changed -- that they could send emails if they needed to -- if something really important came up they could call my husband or daughter.
She said she loved me as we got off the phone. She never says that. 
I shook for 45 minutes after the call.
I made the call on Saturday, and today I am beginning to feel better. I catch myself wondering if they are all right, and then I remind myself that isn't my problem. They are adults with all the information they need. 
Today I will focus on what I really want this to mean. And I will pray, as always, for myself and all survivors to find that elusive peace in the constant struggle to understand.


Blessings.

7 comments:

  1. oh Melanie, you did the right thing, the good thing for your own heart and health. As a survivor or abuse in my childhood I know that the flashbacks and the memories sneak up on you at the worst possible moments and you need to deal and banish them.

    I am so proud of you for doing that, for making that call and standing in your own space saying "this is how it has to be ...for ME"

    my prayers are mingled with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kir, Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I am so sorry that you too lost part of your childhood to abuse. It is hard to stand up to important people in my life and say, "You cannot treat me this way." I know, now, it was a necessary part of healing, but I am still struggling with disconnection on a daily basis. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing such an intimate part of your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine how difficult making that call was for you! But I'm glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for validating the difficulty of the call. It was indeed hard; good for me, but oh so hard. Blessings.

      Delete
  4. What an incredible story. I admire the bravery it must have taken to share even this much. The only concrit I have is about half way down it reads "It's just too hard trying to maintain the relationship while knowing they are maintaining a close relationship with one the abusers." I am guessing it's just a typo but it sound like it should be "abuser" not "abusers". Other than that, I love the piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support and recognition. I don't see it as bravery more like self preservation!
      Thanks for noticing and commenting on the typo. I have corrected it. The line should "one of the abusers".

      Delete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.