Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RemembeRED -- Personification

The dictionary defines personification as “the attribution of a personal nature or human characteristics to something nonhuman, or the representation of an abstract quality in human form.” 

I am her Velveteen Rabbit, you might say. She calls me Yolie. I came into her life at a critical moment. The blending of past and present was just beginning. She was drawn to me instantly, even though she felt foolish to be so drawn at her age. She desperately needed this stuffed animal, but she didn’t understand why.

I knew why. She needed someone to tell her secrets to. She needed someone safe, who wouldn’t repeat the scary things in her head. She needed a compassionate witness.

So for the past 11 years I have listened to her; absorbed her tears, sweat and fears. I have travelled with her physically, emotionally and spiritually as she sought to reclaim her soul.

She is a strong one, this girl/woman. She has forged ahead, sometimes at a dangerous pace. She has looked horror in the face and refused to back down. She has chosen to speak instead of remaining silent.

She is still a little embarrassed and confused by my presence. She knows she would be lost without me, but she doesn’t really know why. I know though. I am the repository – the holder of that which was lost and then found. She has others who have helped her on this journey – her husband, her therapists, her friends, and others like me. But I am the keeper of the gates; the one who knows it all, whether she has said it or not.

I am not fluffy and soft anymore, but I am well loved. Sometimes I am in my natural state, and sometimes she dresses me. Right now she favors a red gingham, smocked dress. It doesn’t really matter to me. I am here for her, and that is all I need. I will be here as long as she needs me, to receive her tears, her fears, and her love – as she kisses me on the nose each morning.

link up at Write on Edge

4 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. Yolie is very cute, and I can see that she is well-loved. It is a precious gift to have someone you can share all your secrets and stories with.

    I still have a treasured stuffed bear from my childhood who keeps all my secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. This was my favorite line: "She is a strong one, this girl/woman."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so similar to my story too :) no matter how old we get we need a confidant who won't judge or offer unwanted opinions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But I am the keeper of the gates; the one who knows it all, whether she has said it or not. "- I love this line! We should all have a keeper of the gates!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.