Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thankful Thursday #4




“We must be willing to let go of the life we had planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell

I read this quote on another blog this morning. It caught my breath, because it is so true. 

All of us hope and dream and plan for what our futures will be like. Women are probably more into this than men. When we are little we dream of boyfriends, weddings, husbands, houses, and children.

I dreamed about a perfect life, where the family was happy all the time. I would give wonderful dinner parties and my children would excel and be happy all the time, and my husband was suave and debonair.

What I got was not perfect and happy, but it is real. And let me tell you real is so much better than make believe, IF you are willing to let go of your fairy tale.

It took a lot of work for me to release my fairy tale, and it's understandable that I held on to it for so long. I needed a fairy tale after the horror story I'd grown up in.

Over the past 11 years I've been letting go of that fairy tale mentality. It's hard work. I have fought it tooth and nail at times, but this past weekend I let go of another aspect of that fairy tale life -- a relationship that is never going to be the way I wanted it to be. It's sad and I'm foggy on the exact future, but I acknowledged reality and did what I needed to do.

What a gracious and loving God I have! He has walked with me every step of the way, loving me even when I kept getting stuck in the same place over and over again.

So today I am thankful, as always, for my Heavenly Father, and all the blessed people he has put in my path to open my eyes to the life He has waiting for me.

Blessings and peace.

find more Thankful Thursday at Women Taking a Stand

7 comments:

  1. This is my first visit here and I don't know you but I just feel I need to send you some ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so me -- "Over the past 11 (for me more than that!) years I've been letting go of that fairy tale mentality. It's hard work. I have fought it tooth and nail at times,..."

    When I was younger I read the book The Cinderella Syndrome... I am a die hard romantic at heart but you are so right - we must live with the realities in our life and embrace them.

    Hugs to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thankful post. So true only with God's help and his loving kindness can we get through some things. I am thankful for your thankfulness.
    Blessings,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also thankful for my heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post and your letting go. You can do that because you know He is right by your side. So often, as I worry about things or relationships in my life, I give it to Him. He's the only one who knows our path in life. Congratulation on moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm willing to love the life I have and strike out with the people I love to implement our dreams. Because it's only a fairy tale if somebody says "Once Upon A Time..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post. It helps to hear someone else struggling with the same sort of ideals. Letting go is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.