Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Red Writing Hood -- Epitaph


Polly Agnes Lawrence Dodd
1898-1974
 Beloved wife of Horace
While we had no children of our own,
I pray that I helped usher many nieces
and nephews through happy and sad times.
I smiled through much sadness.
An empty womb, while my sister gave
 birth to seven children who all lived 
long lives.

I never saw her unhappy or angry. She was a sea of calmness in my topsy-turvy world. Few things soothed the way Aunt Agnes’s hands did. (We called her “Auntie" - ainty). Her hands were cool in summer and warm in winter, and felt like silk as she cupped my cheek in her palm. She knew and understood sadness, heartache and pain. She was quietly joyful. 
Oh to have to have talked with her as an adult! To have been able to converse fluidly, with reason and understanding. She was taken too early from me, but I learned so much from her. 
:: to show kindness to all
:: that gentleness is not weakness
:: that there is beauty in the ordinary
:: that love takes many forms, and every opportunity must be seized to the fullest
She was/is my inspiration. To love as Auntie loved me – that is my hope.
link up at red writing hood






7 comments:

  1. How lovely, she sounds like she was a true treasure to have in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think a lot about infertility in the modern age, but we never think how it must have been in earlier times without the benefit of so much modern knowledge. Sounds like she was a grace-filled woman. This is a real person and not a fiction excerpt, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this sweet and sincere piece. Our legacy is more than our children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! What a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tribute. We all need special people, like your Aunt Agnes in our lives. They set our foundations and make them strong so we can build our lives.

    Thanks for sharing your memories of her with us:~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are blessed to have had such a person in your life, and you created a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.