Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4 of 31

I have a confession to make. I don't do much editing. Some of you may be thinking, "Well, duh. That's obvious."
I try to look for typos and word repetition, but beyond that what you see here is pretty much stream of consciousness.

I grew up with an English professor for a father. I never once asked him to proof-read a paper, and he never volunteered. I was terrified of turning a paper over to him. I went to college where he taught (and was head of the English department), so I avoided any English classes that required much writing. Sure I took freshman comp. The teacher I had gave me a D on an essay because I had a comma splice in it. It should have been an F, but even he couldn't bring himself to me and F.

Grammar and style are important, don't misunderstand. There is nothing more difficult for me than trying to read a piece of writing full of disjointed sentences and misspelled words, but, and this is a big one, the point of so much writing is to get our hearts out -- to be seen, really seen. I hate to think that there are people out there with so much to say and so much bottled up that needs to spill out, but they hesitate because they might get the sentence structure wrong.

So I agree with Lisa-Jo today. Turn off that editor in your head, and write. And link up tomorrow with 5 Minute Friday it's a great way to get started!

linking up with Lisa-Jo and Ann Voskamp

1 comment:

  1. I like seeing written words. Oh I love it. Write on sweet sister. I am enjoying thinking of having an English Professor for a Dad. However the grass is always greener, yadda, yadda yadda. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.