Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 5 of 31

Well I've made it to Friday, and we've talked about joy and writing and welcome and pain and self-doubt. All good things to talk about. Honest, open feelings. 

What I haven't mentioned is that a member of my congregation died suddenly this week (read the full story here). I didn't know her personally, but all week I've been hearing and reading about her strength and perseverance and love. She was married to a man who has been struggling with ALS for 26 years. She was the mother of 2 adult sons who have had their own struggles. She helped start and run an after school program for underprivileged kids (The Wayne Reed Christian Childcare Center). And now she is gone from this earth. But certainly not forgotten.

And I wonder at the strength of people who are struggling in this world, to take on bigger problems, willingly. Not to ignore their own struggles, but rather to embrace more for others. How do they do it? 

My answer is, it's a calling. We all have difficulties, tests, and trials in this life, of that I am sure. With some people it's obvious what they're fighting. Others of us not so much. 

This is what I do know -- God loves me. He put me here for a purpose, and He allows these trials for a purpose. If I stay in communion with Him and open my heart and really listen, I will find my calling -- my purpose in being in this place, at this time. It may not be big, but it is mine.

Blessings!

Every desirable and beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light. There is nothing deceitful in God, nothing two-faced, nothing fickle. He brought us to life using the true Word, showing us off as the crown of all his creatures. -- James 1:16b-18 (The Message)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.