Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Present

It can be difficult to remain in the present when the past keeps trying to swallow me. But I'm working on it.

The most important time in anyone's life is now -- the present. 

The past impacts, informs, and teaches us. 

The future motivates, inspires, and pulls us.

But the present is here . . . this moment . . . all we really have.

So I'm working on living in the present moment. That doesn't mean ignoring the past or not hoping for the future. What it does mean is fully embracing the present by recognizing it, being in it, staying focused on the now.

I don't think about the future that much. I'm more capable of seeing it without running toward it. But the past. The past is a different issue all together. I don't choose to dwell on it or in it, but it rears it's ugly head most days in one form or another.  What I've found is it's best to acknowledge it for what it was -- a very difficult time in my life that has left me with a boat load of bad habits and unhealthy coping mechanisms. However, the harder I try to escape the past, the more intrusive it becomes. So when those pictures, thoughts, flashes, and emotions come up, I'm working on learning to say, "I see you there. I understand you need to be addressed, but I'm choosing to set you aside for now. I'll come back to you at the time I have chosen to deal with your kind of issues. You don't get to choose anymore. I choose when and how and with whom I deal with the past."

Because I don't want to lose now, this present moment, because I was so busy trying to set right the past.

linking up with 5 Minute Friday


11 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Easy to read, engaging prose, and insightful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thank you for be brave and sharing this, it's something I needed to read today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so glad it helped you today :)

      Delete
  3. "The past impacts, informs, and teaches us.

    The future motivates, inspires, and pulls us.

    But the present is here . . . this moment . . . all we really have."

    I really like that attitude and spirit. Personally, I get overly pulled towards the future. It's good to consciously focus on the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. It's comforting to know that others struggle with staying in the present.

      Delete
  4. It's especially difficult to escape from thoughts of a traumatic past. I feel that you will be able to triumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true, and thank you for your faith in me.

      Delete
  5. Excellent.
    Living in the PRESENT takes Lots of work. X

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.