Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Mercy

1 a :  compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; 
b :  imprisonment rather than death imposed as penalty for first-degree murder
2 a :  a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion
b :  a fortunate circumstance
3 :  compassionate treatment of those in distress 

I don't see myself as having power over other people. I see myself as weak and small. The one needing mercy, and it is a blessing that God provides for me, because my actions and thoughts beg for His mercy daily.

As a recipient of His mercy I want to extend it to others, but how do I know when I'm being merciful or when I'm just being a door mat? 

One of the basic tenants of abuse recovery is self-care. Honoring me for who I am. Not being anybody's door mat anymore. How do I line all of that up with extending mercy?

And that's the problem I'm left with. How to be merciful. And I don't have an answer I'm content with so far.

Compassionate  treatment of those in distress -- that's what I want to offer.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Matt. 5:7 

linking up with 5 Minute Friday

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! So blessed to be sitting in front of you at FMF. I, too, am a CSA survivor. I write about it on my blog sometimes. I understand the dilemma between mercy and abuse. I think about how it relates to forgiveness and I know that's a hard place. And its okay to not have it all figured out.

    Christy @ A Heartening Life
    www.ahearteninglife.com

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.