Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

DIY Pancake Mix

I'm a food snob, and generally don't use mixes of any kind. I'll admit to occasionally using a few, but on the whole I stay away from them to avoid potential additives. That being said my family loves pancakes especially when we go away to a state park each fall. My pancakes are required breakfast on Saturday morning. 

Years ago I got the More-with-Less Cookbook which has this terrific Pancake Mix recipe in it (as well as so many more great recipes). I'm sharing it with you because there's been lots of creating and cooking around here this past week, but very little photography and even fewer completed projects. I keep the mix in a canister with my other baking supplies so it's always handy when the "need" for pancakes arises.

This makes 2 lbs. and can be cut in half if that's more than you want to make.

6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 T. salt
6 T. baking powder
6 T. granulated sugar
2 cups powdered milk

Mix well and store in an airtight container.

To make pancakes:

Combine 1 beaten egg (I use large ones), 1 cup water, 2 T. oil or melted butter, 1 1/2 cups pancake mix.

Fry on a hot, greased griddle until bubbles appear. Flip pancakes and cook just long enough to lightly brown the flipped side. Serves 3-4. 

(son's bf after their pancake extravaganza)

These are light and fluffy. My son holds the current record of 18 pancakes for breakfast. Of course he was a teenager at the time.

Serve with your choice of toppings. We like melted butter and warm maple syrup.

Happy Eating!

linking up with Made by You Monday


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.