Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday Poetry -- Lullabies

Last night dd and I got to reminiscing about the songs my mother and I used to sing to dd as lullabies. We didn't use traditional lullabies I guess, but then again what are traditional lullabies? 


Dd and I determined there were four songs that recurred in my childhood and hers. The first and most prominent is an old song my mother learned from a lady at a country church. The song is about a dying boy talking to his mother. Not really soothing, but dd and I both remember requesting it over and over again from my mother. As a parent I had a hard time to singing it often to my children. I think part of that was the theme of the song, but part of it was my relationship with my mother.


So for today, here are the lyrics to "Little Joe". Maybe I'll record it sometime and post it for you to hear the melody.


Little Joe

What will the birdies do, Mother, in the spring
When they gather crumbs from around the door?
Will they come and peck at my windowsill
And wonder why Joe wanders out no more?

What will my kitten do, Mother, when I'm gone;
Will he cease his frolic for a day?
Will he lay on the rug by the side of my bed
As he did before I went away?

What will Thomas the old gardener say,
When you ask him for flowers for me?
Will he give you the rose he has tended with care,
The first fairest bloom on the tree?

I have seen tears come in his honest old eyes,
But he said it was the wind that brought them there.
As he gazed on my face, growing paler each day,
His hand trembles over my head.

Keep Tyke, Mother, my poor little dog
I know he will mourn for me too.
Keep him when old and useless he grows,
Sleeping the whole winter through.

Show him my coat, Mother, so he won't forget
His little master who will then be dead.
Speak to him kindly and often of Joe
And pat him on his old shaggy head.

And you dearest Mother, will miss me for awhile,
But in heaven no larger I'll grow.
And any kind angel will know at the gate
When you ask for your darling little Joe.

1 comment:

  1. Get's me every time but I just love it... just makes me want to meet little Joe when I go to heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.