Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Tuscan Squash and Beans on Rice

Last Sunday for lunch I made this recipe from a Leanne Ely cookbook. It timed out pretty quick and easy for an after church lunch. I put some brown rice on to cook in chicken stock, and then began chopping my veggies. By the time I finished chopping and sauteing, I had just enough time to grill the sausages before the rice was finished.
Quite a tasty summer lunch, and a great way to use whatever selections of garden bounty you have on hand.
You don't really need the sausages, but the boys in my house need a little meat most days, even though dear daughter prefers vegetarian.
sauteing veggies

Mahatma brown rice in chicken stock

aidells Chicken & Apple sausage
 3 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped 
3 cups zucchini, chopped (I used crook neck squash and zucchini)
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. thyme
3 cloves garlic, pressed
salt and pepper to taste
1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained
1 cup brown rice, cooked (I did mine in chicken stock)


In soup pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Stir in onion and bell pepper and cook until tender. Mix in tomatoes and zucchini and season with spices and garlic. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Serve over the cooked rice.


I served mine with the sausage on the side, but it could be sliced and stirred into the veggies.


Happy eating!


linking to Skip to My Lou


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.