Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Misperceptions -- OR -- I Thought I Was Fat

This past weekend my husband turned 50. My daughter posted a bunch of old photos on Facebook in his honor. And then she posted a bunch more because she was having fun. It went on and on all weekend. What a good time we had looking back at those photos -- babies, toddlers, school days, dress up. It was lovely.

But . . . but, for me there was a recurring theme that is still nagging at me. I've thought I was fat most of my life. And now at 51 when I'm heavier than I've ever been, I look back at those pictures and I realize I wasn't fat. And I find myself grieving for the lost time spent worrying about weight and what I looked like. Time that would have been so much better spent enjoying myself, my husband, my kids, my friends, my life.

It's vain and shallow of me that one of the first things I noticed looking back was my size, but truth be told I was stunned. How could I have thought I was fat? 


Blame it on a lot of things -- the media, fear of failing (at anything!), misinterpretations of comments made by others, and abuse. Abuse that made me feel "less than". Abuse that made me question every thought and idea and belief that popped into my head. Abuse that made me want to hide my body, as if that would somehow keep me from being abused again -- a protective shield if you will. Abuse that told me if I felt good about myself I was proud and arrogant, and deserving of the past abuse.

So I'm trying to learn to love myself regardless of what the scales say, and I'm learning to ask questions about my health and weight. Learning to eat and exercise in a way that honors my body. That makes me healthy and strong, regardless of what the scales and the dress sizes say.

I still would love to have that time back, but that's not an option. What I can do is move forward with clearer perceptions. And a lot more self-love.






Peace.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie! I think I share your misconception about my body. Why is it that we can't feel very adequate? Well, we are all lights of God...check out my blog post today and you'll see what I mean!

    I am your newest follower :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ceil! Welcome to my little blog. Thanks for your encouraging words over at your page as well they were meaningful to me.

      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Freedom! Sharing this on my blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, sweet e! You are such an inspiration to me. I am honored to be included on your blog.

      Blessings!

      Delete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.