Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Solitary

My house is full right now. Both kids are home from college. The neighborhood kids are in and out visiting and eating.

We've been helping a friend out, so he's been by the house this week. Another friend is doing some landscaping for us. Then there's my son's girlfriend who's been here working on summer courses with my son (Calculus, ugh!). My bestie came on Tuesday for sewing therapy.

It's lovely . . . mostly. 

I am by nature, these days, more of a solitary person. I'm an introvert. I can entertain up to a point, but when I reach that point, it's time for some quiet. And there hasn't been much quiet this summer.

I looked up the word lonely because I assumed it was a negative. Some of the definitions were negative -- sad, desolate, cut off from others. But one definition was solitary. I like solitary. It is peaceful. Restful. Rejuvenating.

I could use a little solitary right now. 

So I'm reminding myself that solitary is a seasonal way of life at this point. And I'm breathing in and out, reminding myself to focus on the positives and enjoy the ruckus, because solitary will come back in due time.



linking up with Five Minute Friday


3 comments:

  1. Time alone is essential for people! I get worn out from being surrounded by people too. I hope you get a bit of a break soon!
    Stopping by from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, Thanks for the reminder that lonely isn't just a bad thing. You are right that we do need time to ourselves. I stopped by from FMF! Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you luck finding solitary. :) it's hard even in my small home too. I live with my boyfriend and another couple. In a 3 bedroom home. Someone's always home, my roommates work late so they are up all night. Theres never quiet time. Some times I love it, just knowing I'm not alone. But i think we all need some peace of our own. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.