Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Connect

I sit down at the computer and begin to write. Sometimes with little thought to what will flow from my fingertips. Sometimes with an idea. Occasionally with a detailed concept.

I write to clear my head. I write to see if I can make sense of things in my life and in the world. I write because it's proven to provide a safe means of communication with the outside world.

I always assumed writing was about other people, and an author's own vanity. But I've come to realize that writing encompasses a lot of different drives. There is the drive to be heard and understood. There is the drive for commonality. For sure there is an arrogance to writing, more for some than others. 

There are days when I want to write something that will help someone else through difficulty, and there are days when I write solely to ease my own struggles. Those are the days I wonder about motives and feel guilty for sharing. 

Ultimately, I write to connect. I don't know most of the people who read what I write, and very few of my (presumed) regular readers comment. But somehow the process of writing it down and putting it out there helps me feel connected. 

So I sit down at the computer and begin to write.

linking up with Five Minute Friday



2 comments:

  1. You put into words so eloquently why I write, too! Bless you! Coming from FMF! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS .. glad you added it to my Tuesday at Ten :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.