Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Ordinary

ordinary -- with no special or distinctive features; normal

Ordinary is one of those adjectives I craved for years. I thought normal would mean everything was all right -- the way it was supposed to be. But really look at that definition -- with no special or distinctive features -- I mean come on, is there anyone who fits that kind of description?

What I was really craving all those years was to be seen fully. I wanted people to know the real, honest to goodness me, but I was so terrified of being rejected that I worked constantly on trying to figure out what those others wanted me to be. I strove to be something I wasn't. I tried to appear to be the perfect Christian girl, but I didn't feel any of it. It was all just an act to try and get by. 

Ordinary is a lie. Real is the truth. And real is messy. Real isn't based on comparisons with everyone else. Real is opening up to God and saying "I'm a mess, and I need your help". Ordinary says everything is easy and constant. Life follows a predictable plan. And anyone who's lived even one single day knows the lie in that.

So I'm throwing out ordinary and normal, again. 

I am me. I am unique. I am who God made me to be. I just need to learn to trust Him more to see the beauty of what He created.

linking up with Five Minute Friday


2 comments:

  1. "Real is opening up to God and saying "I'm a mess, and I need your help'". - Love this! How we are extraordinary, created and loved by an amazing and beyond extraordinary God... I'm stopping by from Five Minute Friday- nice to meet you, Melanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your perspective on ordinary! That we hide in the ordinary because it's comfortable and safe. That we don't have to put ourselves out there and be real. Yes, I see that.

    Christy @ A Heartening Life
    www.ahearteninglife.com

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.