Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bliss


"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just ordinary people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise…life is like an old-time rail journey – delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is the thank the Lord for letting you have the ride… "
Gordon B. Hinckley


I met Rachel Held Evans this past weekend. And I told her she had given me a moment of bliss with her explanation of Proverbs 31. She gave me an eshet chayil (woman of valor) for being a survivor of abuse. 

It was Mother's Day. I had told my family in advance what my preferences were for the day (that may not sound difficult, but it is for me), and even stuck to it when son disliked my choice of restaurants for lunch. 

After lunch (omelets and crepes -- son decided it wasn't so bad afterall!), I spent time cleaning off my sitting porch. I'm the primary user of this little porch off the sliding doors from my office/craft/snafu room, so each spring I spruce it up the way I want it to be. This year I've added a chair from my father-in-laws porch, and some of the plants that were sent to his funeral. I also added the new mushrooms my kids gave me for Mother's Day. I know. But I love mushrooms. They are happy.
(ignore the weeds)
Once I'd done all I could on that, I sat in my new/old chair and started crocheting a scrappy cotton yarn leftovers pillow for my chair. With my feet propped up on my makeshift footrest and a big glass of Fresca next to me.

Later there was a nap and then I cooked dinner for everyone.

Here's what I realized about that one moment of bliss. It grew all day. The whole day was really a kind of bliss. Because I followed Hinckley's advice. I thanked the Lord for every little bliss I had that day. Hearing Rachel speak. Meeting her afterwards. The exchange of kind words that felt so genuine and sincere. Lunch at The Perch. Puttering on my porch. Rest and recouping. 

And then I felt ready and recharged to take on my job of wife, mom, friend, and survivor.

Guess what, I am a woman of valor.

Eschet chayil!

linking up with Just Write




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.