Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

RemembeRED -- Comparisons

It was May 1993. We went to the mountains with another couple as a getaway. We rented a cabin just outside of Gatlinburg, Tennessee, the same cabin we’d stayed in for our honeymoon. 

The weather was beautiful that weekend. We unloaded cars and headed to the grocery. We bought lots of healthy, easy foods to prepare, and just a little junk food. The next day we planned to hike Laurel Falls. It’s a relatively easy trail that leads to beautiful waterfalls where we could picnic and rest before heading back.

Saturday morning we headed out late in the morning for the trail. I was really pushing myself to keep up with the others. They seemed to be in much better shape than I was, and I was getting embarrassed that I was slowing them down. A couple of times, John, asked if I was all right. I assured I was and that there was no need to slow down just for me. I kept comparing myself constantly to everyone else on the trail – not just my group. Why was I having such a hard time? I was really having trouble breathing and my face was flushed. Finally we made it to the falls. We settled on some of the large boulders and ate our picnic. After lunch the others decided to play around in the falls. I sat on our lunch rock, too tired to contemplate anything but the walk back to the car.

When we got back to the cabin I had to lie down and take a nap.

The rest of the weekend was relaxing and uneventful. We drove home on Sunday and picked up our daughter from my parents house.

On Monday morning I had an appointment with my doctor. I went in for a checkup and they wouldn’t let me go home. They wanted me to go straight to the hospital. My blood pressure was very elevated. Did I mention I was 28 weeks pregnant at the time?

It took me years to realize that I had been comparing apples and oranges while on that hike. I wasn’t lazy and out of shape. I was pregnant! I was developing signs of toxemia that would ultimately lead to my son’s premature birth, and would leave me near death.

link up at RemembeRED

2 comments:

  1. That is scary! Isn't it funny how we compare ourselves when it isn't even logical? It must be human nature or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. So glad you survived! This was a great story- one suggestion- (totally my opinion) Maybe instead of "did I mention I was 28 weeks pregnant?" deliver that with a punch- that really ties it all together. Maybe a conversation with your doctor- him saying, "Melanie, you are 7 months pregnant! If you don't slow down you're going to kill yourself!" Or someone else saying it?? It's the key element!! Make it kick the reader in the gut! :) Just thinking out loud- or on paper!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.