Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thankful Thursday #13


I've noticed over the past few weeks that I have been waking up with a song running through my head. They have been gifts from God to encourage me to face each day with a more uplifted spirit.

This morning the song was an old gospel hymn that was my great grandmother's favorite -- "There Is a Balm in Gilead".

There are 2 hymns that have always meant so much to me, partly because of the lyrics, but also because they were special to 2 wonderful women who blessed my childhood. My great grandmother and her sister who we simply called Auntie. 

Auntie's favorite was "It Is Well with My Soul", but we'll talk about that one another day. "There Is a Balm in Gilead" is an old Negro spiritual. Although the exact author and date are unknown, portions of the song appeared around 1854.

I don't remember the first time I sang this hymn, but it has always moved and comforted me, so today I share the lyrics with gratitude to the lady who shared them with me.

Chorus (in bold):
There is a balm in Gilead, To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead, To heal the sin-sick soul.

Some times I feel discouraged,
And think my work’s in vain,
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my hope again.

(Chorus)

If you cannot sing like angels,
If you can’t preach like Paul,
You can tell the love of Jesus,
And say He died for all.

(Chorus)

2 comments:

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.