Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thankful Thursday #9


Receiving gratitude is difficult for me. 
Over the past couple of weeks I've been helping two high school students learn about sewing. They each chose to make a vintage clothing item as part of their history projects this quarter. Neither one of them knew much about sewing. 
I am apparently one of a dying breed of moms who knows how to sew garments and owns a sewing machine. I didn't mind them using my equipment, but I didn't really want to get pulled into doing the projects for them.
Of course they waited too late (from my perspective) to start the projects and hadn't read through the directions on their patterns until they were ready to sew (12 days before the project was due!). I explained about laying out pattern pieces and grain of fabric. I showed them how to pin the pieces in place following the layout on the pattern, and left them to it.
They did well with the cutting, but the sewing was a bit much for them, and truth be told for me as well. These were duplicates of vintage patterns -- read: bad photo copies with little or no instructions! I learned a lot right a long with the kids.
Tuesday night they came over to put the finishing touches on the garments and finish the presentation they had to do in class. They walked in bearing gifts -- for me! I was floored. A beautiful arrangement of flowers
A gift card to my favorite restaurant and another to Joann's Fabric, and a new pair of sewing shears! I was stunned. These are nice kids and so I figured they'd express gratitude for the help, but this, well this, was just too much. Included in it all was a note that said in part . . . 
I think you'll believe us when we say there
is no way we could have done this 
without you!
It made me think about receiving gratitude. We tend to brush it aside, but truth be told we all need the opportunity to show gratitude. I had gone out of my way for these two, so it was appropriate for them to show thankfulness, but I felt unworthy of this much gratitude. Learning to receive gratitude is important in helping me learn to show gratitude.
I want God to feel overwhelmed by my gratitude. He has done so much more for me than I could ever express. All I have are my words and my life to show my gratitude. I know it's not enough, but I also know it's all He asks.

link up at Women Taking a Stand

6 comments:

  1. Wow, it gave me chills to read this. And smile that these kids showed their gratitude to you in such a special way. Great thoughts on showing our gratitude to God here too, thank you!

    God bless you!
    Bethany

    I like the colors of your blog background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww, so nice that they would a) realise how much you helped and b) express it in such a lovely way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the LORD! That was such a wonderful outpouring of themselves to you and from you to GOD. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so blessed to know how to sew well. I do own a machine, do simple repairs and once in awhile embark on something major. It is so nice to be appreciated. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made me get a little teary. Thank you for this sweet post!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.