Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

This Has to Stop

In 2009 I posted a letter I had written to an abuse victim who had taken her own life. I am haunted by this woman's death, because it was so unnecessary. She had the resources and from all appearances a supportive family. What she didn't have was people who genuinely believed her. 

This weekend I heard about another abuse victim who didn't make it. He was intelligent, talented, and by all accounts personable. He left a 4000 word suicide note posted on the Internet with a request that it be made available so that others would know what drove him to suicide.

When I hear and read these stories, I am reminded of my own struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts. I don't know what the ultimate difference is between those who die victims and those of us who stick around to be "survivors". What I do know is this -- it is my duty, responsibility and honor to uphold those who couldn't do it for themselves. 

Pray for the friends and family of Bill Zeller. Pray that they will find peace and comfort. Pray that they will be able to remember the good things about him and realize the tremendous pain he was in that led him to this place. Pray that those responsible will take responsibility for the actions that caused Bill's death. Pray all abuse victims and survivors. Pray that we as a people will do all in our power to find a way to stop the destruction caused by childhood sexual assault.

For my part, I will continue to speak my truth and the truth of all the others who survive and especially those who don't. It is my privilege.
(Here is the link to the suicide note in its entirety that was left by Bill Zeller. Please read it if you can so that you may be able to help another.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.