Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

imperfect prose on Thursdays -- editing reality


I ran across this prompt several months -- RemembeRED -- Your worst memory. initially I laughed at the thought of participating. then there was the familiar onset of nausea, headache, memory pains, etc. the recurrent question, "which one was the worst?" I've written about several of them. some of them I have not been able to put into words. there was my great aunt, my cousin, her mother, the student, and the close family member. I've never been able to rate them. individually they are horrible and grotesque, but taken as a group they are overwhelming.


the worst is maybe not what was done but what wasn't done and what was said. my father's response to two different episodes: "boys will be boys, so you were right to not tell us" and regarding the student, "I can't believe he would be so disrespectful of me". my mother's initial response not to my pain, but what about the rapist's wife. my parents' ability to tell me they just chose not to think about the information after I told them some of the abuse. they were going on vacation and didn't want their trip ruined. their ability to remain in close contact with one of the abusers.


as Laurie Colwin wrote: "She had a picture of the way things should pleasantly be, and she edited reality heavily to make it so." 


other people editing my reality -- my worst memory.



link up at imperfect prose on Thursdays

10 comments:

  1. good night...i had to edit myself there a bit...ugh...i am sorry..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response made me laugh, and that doesn't happen much with my posts! Thank you a thousand times over. It is so helpful for other people to respond in a non-crazy way when I share these exchanges.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you for your care and for seeing the crazy makingness of their comments.

      Delete
  3. i.e., adding insult to injury. My experiences haven't been anything like yours, but I know what it is to be hushed...to be told: "It isn't wise to share such n such," and how annoying even when the injury has been minor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. speechless. I wish I could come through this screen and give you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so angry at these people who have hurt you. i know God is too. it's just awful. just. awful. praying for you, to be able to somehow find hope and joy and peace in spite of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as always for your understanding and caring words. Do you really think God is angry with them? I know He knows their hearts. It is difficult to understand their service to Him (my dad is a minister/elder) and understand their reactions to my struggles.

      Delete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.