Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Relationship Revelation





We were visiting them at Christmas. Sunday morning Chris took Alan and the kids site seeing, while I went to the nursing home with Mary Lou.

She explained that each Sunday, she came to the nursing home to help her father dress and then take him to worship service with Chris and her. I was a little nervous about going with her. I'm not traditionally great with strangers, let alone old strangers.

Mary Lou told me a little about her dad as we walked in. She was an only child and her mother had passed on several years before. Her dad was suffering from some dementia, but he usually knew her. She took him out to lunch and for a drive around the countryside after worship each Sunday, and she tried to visit him at least one other day each week. She spoke with caregivers daily.

We got to his room and she greeted him with joy and love. He was resting on his bed. She chatted with him about his morning, and introduced me to him. He had kind eyes and a loving smile, and he couldn't take his eyes off of his daughter.

They bantered about jackets and gloves, as she led him into the bathroom to change into his church clothes. I was in awe. She was so sweet and loving -- so capable and at ease with this man -- her father. They spoke loving words and little private jokes to one another. I could hear them through the door.

Once he was dressed, we strolled through the hallways at his pace. He and I waited in the warm interior while she retrieved the car. Once he was settled into the car we headed off to meet the others for worship.

Their relationship was a revelation to me. I had never seen a father and daughter so loving and kind to each other. I kept thinking about how I would feel if I were in her shoes. Caring for this elderly man with diminishing memories and a need to always have gloves and a handkerchief. None of it seemed to faze her. I saw nothing but love in her face. She glowed with love and appreciation for him, and he was totally at ease with her and the care she was providing.

It was a foreign concept to me. I marveled at the way love -- true, unconditional love -- comes full circle, with daughter caring for father in the same way he had once cared for her.


Write about a time you saw someone doing something kind for someone else. (inspired byGigi’s Ramblings)


link up at MAMA'S losing IT

8 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from Mama's Losin' it and I also am touched by your post... It's amazing isn't it... this thing called love... unconditional love.

    I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. Very sweet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. It is amazing what love can do. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, either I'm having an emotional day (this is the second one I read that made me cry), or there is a lot of great writing going on! Loved this sweet post. I hope I am that loving and patient with my dad when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moments that strike us at the core and stay with us forever hold such beauty! So glad you linked up today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! Thanks for sharing and helping me remember that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a loving relationship they have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet!! How I hope my kids have this same kind of relationship with their Dad when they're older too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.