Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

5 Minute Friday: Perspective

Time requires perspective.
Perspective requires time.
He is 18, almost 19.
He is 6 feet tall.
He is strong, slender, and beautiful.
He is my son.
Whoever said a mother's love is a dangerous thing was right.
I would do anything to protect him.
I would run in front of a speeding truck and gladly take the hit, just to know he's okay.
He graduates from high school tomorrow.
I'm okay with that. I've still got him for the summer.
But in the fall he leaves my home. It's possible that this will never be his everyday home again.
I know this is the way of things. I want this for him -- his own life, adventures, struggles, joys.
What I don't want is him gone.
From my perspective, once I left home it was never the same.
I didn't want to go back.
Does he feel that way?
Will he come back?
It's different than it was for me. He knows he can tell me anything.
He knows he can tell me how I annoy him. He knows I'll listen.
I didn't have that.
It's just that I'm going to miss his "being" in the house. His heavy steps and joie de vivre.
Time and perspective.
Perspective and time.

link up at The Gypsy Mama

1 comment:

  1. Oh, mama, I wish I could write like you! My daughter isn't quite 10, and I'm already thinking the same things. But Sam has the relationship with you that you didn't get to have with your parents -- and that will make all the difference. Sending love your way!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.