Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Made by You Monday -- Tangelo Tart

So lately I've kind of been on a cooking/baking kick. I'm really trying to use fresh fruits and vegetables, and not let things go to waste.
The other day I looked in my fruit basket and saw that I had quite a few tangelos that were starting look a little rough. I did a little searching and found this recipe using honeybell oranges, so I figured I could substitute the tangelos. I was cleverly tooling along, gathering my supplies, and getting quite excited about the recipe when I realized I had no sweetened condensed milk! 
So how does one make sweetened condensed milk? Turns out it's really easy. Click here for that recipe.
Anyway, here's my take on the pie which was quite a hit at my house. BTW, I didn't do the meringue because I don't like meringue. I know, shoot me now! Anyway, enjoy.
4 egg yolks
1 making of sweetened condensed milk
4 ounces freshly squeezed tangelos
1 teaspoon vanilla
1(9-inch) pre-baked pie shell or 4 (3-inch) pie shells
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Whip the egg yolks until thick. Add the condensed milk and slowly add the juice and vanilla, and mix well until blended. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked shell and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Once the pie is ready let cool and set aside in refrigerator.
Serve with whipped cream.

link up at Made by You Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.