Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thankful Thursday #14

It's Maundy Thursday. I mentioned before that I wasn't brought up observing religious holy days, so this morning when I saw a friend's Facebook post about Maundy Thursday, my first thought was, "What does that even mean?"
Ah, the joys of Wikipedia! I read/scanned a brief article and what stuck with me, is that maundy is a derivation of a Latin term for foot washing. Ok, so Maundy Thursday is about Jesus washing the feet of His disciples at the Last Supper.
I love context. It provides order and structure for me. So Maundy Thursday is about Jesus' servant heart. That's something with which I can work. 
Jesus calls us to be servants. It seems so simple doesn't it? But how often do I really serve people without an expectation that it will be reciprocated? 
A few weeks ago, my son and I served dinner for guests at Room In the Inn. It was reminder to me of the blessing and honor it is for me to help others. It was also a reminder to me that I worry WAY too much about other people's perceptions. These are homeless people and I was worrying about whether or not they would be happy with the food I served them; about whether or not to use institutional dishes or paper plates; about whether or not they would judge everything about me.
What I found was I learned much more from them than they could possibly have learned from me (and that I still frequently stick my foot in my mouth).
So for this Maundy Thursday I am grateful for the example of Jesus' servant heart, and I will make it my goal to be of service to others today.

Peace and blessings to you and yours.

(I recently read a couple of essays that I found intriguing. I'm passing on the links for your consideration:

link up at Grace Alone

3 comments:

  1. Ooo I've never heard of that! :) I like :) Hope you have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus was the greatest servant of all for He gave everything that we might live with Him for eternity. That is a love that is hard to fathom. Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.