Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thankful Thursday #16


I had the opportunity to do something last night that I don't do as often as I'd like. I fixed dinner for a couple who have a new baby. They don't go to church with us. They live across the street from us. When I took a gift to them earlier in the week, I asked if it would help if I brought dinner for them one night. They didn't hesitate even a moment before saying yes. I liked that a lot. I offered to do something and they were happy to let me. 


Often in my church community it seems that offers of help fall into two categories: those that are expected, and so not as deeply appreciated, and those that are waved off, because people don't like to admit they need help. I'm not sure how to avoid either one of these scenarios, but I do know that I really enjoyed preparing the meal last night, knowing that I was genuinely helping a young couple, at a time I clearly remember as being difficult. I also know that they were really happy to see me walk across the street with that vegetarian lasagna (no mushrooms, please!). And I knew they were vegetarians because I asked. And she told me instead of saying anything was fine. She even told me that her husband hated mushrooms. The whole thing was just lovely, open, and honest without any pretense.


I don't know if these neighbors attend worship services anywhere. I do know they gave me a lovely opportunity to help someone else, and a lovely reminder of how to accept help from others.


Blessings and peace.


link up at Grace Alone

1 comment:

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.