Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Sunday

It is Easter Sunday. My mind (and the world around me) is telling me to be joyous and grateful for my risen Lord. 
I am grateful, but joyous is a long way from my heart today.
This past week has brought reminders and remembrances of a past event. It is a common occurrence for me especially around holidays, but Easter has traditionally been one that gets by untarnished. Not so this year.
I've been processing through a rape that took place in the early spring many years ago. It's an episode that I've kept boxed up for a long time, and even now am wondering at the benefit of opening this particular box. 
My energy level is very low. I'm sleeping a lot, and find I prefer to sit and watch television than do anything else. My house is messy, my refrigerator is full of inedible things. I can't seem to get motivated to cook or exercise or even write. 
I find myself constantly apologizing, although I have no idea what I'm apologizing for. And I'm spending an inordinate amount of time and energy trying to figure out what is wrong with me. Why I can't just snap out of this funk?
There is, in reality, a very simple reason I can't just snap out of it. I was raped. Yes it was over 20 years ago, but I had never talked about it until a couple of months ago. I kept it stored in box on a shelf in a dusty, never entered corner of my mind. 
I chose to open that box and talk about it, because I know that is the only way to heal, but nobody said healing was going to be easy. Healing from trauma is most often compared to healing a wound caused by burn or infection. It is not a one time treatment. A kiss and a band aid won't cut it. Instead trauma must be treated repeatedly -- a constant irritation and re-opening of the injury to make sure all the infection is fully removed. 
I ran across this description recently:
Treatment for third-degree burns will depend on the severity of the burn. Burn severity is determined by the amount of body surface area that has been affected. The burn severity will be determined by your child's physician. Treatment for third-degree burns may include the following:

-early cleaning and debriding (removing dead skin and tissue from the burned area). This procedure can be done in a special bathtub in the hospital or as a surgical procedure.
-intravenous (IV) fluids containing electrolytes

-antibiotics by intravenous (IV) or by mouth

-antibiotic ointments or creams

-a warm, humid environment for the burn

-nutritional supplements and a high-protein diet

-pain medications

-skin grafting (may be required to achieve closure of the wounded area)

-functional and cosmetic reconstruction
I see so many similarities here. I think I'm in that debriding stage right now, and it is immensely painful and tiring.
I always have a difficult time letting others know I am struggling, but especially around holidays, I don't want to burden others with what I view as my negativity. 
So today I will take a walk with my husband. I'll try to clean out my refrigerator and find something to feed my family. I'll remember the amazing gift of God our Father and Jesus Christ our Brother. And I will be kind to myself as I continue to travel this road of healing and learning to accept the reality of how difficult that can be.

Peace and blessings.

16 comments:

  1. i am sorry this happened...it should never happen...but i am glad you are talking about it and you are sharing and you are healing...and that you have a loving husband as well to walk this path with you...blessings for your journey through it, it will not be easy but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I will not be easy. I HAS not been easy, but then God never promised me easy did He? He did provide me with an amazing husband to help me on this path . . . and compassionate witnesses, like you, to lift me up when I need it most. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. oh friend... i am so sorry that this is part of your story to tell. but speak, let it out. we are here to listen. rest your head against me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a compassionate witness for me. I am deeply appreciative of your kind words.

      Delete
  3. I find myself constantly apologizing, although I have no idea what I'm apologizing for.

    melanie. i have no words, only incredible awe at the poetry with which you've described this trauma. and i'm thinking i would like to highlight this post on friday, if it's okay with you? love you friend. thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, it is not negativity, friend. it is truth and it is real and it is healing. you are bold to write this out. there is great power in naming, in calling shadows out of dark places into Light.

    may you know deep shalom and great comfort. thanks for entrusting part of your story to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. It is so hard to remember that sharing and community include the hard stuff as well as the good. Everyone has been so kind regarding this post. Thank you for your support. I will check out the site you mentioned.

      Delete
  5. (there is a website/community called Violence UnSilenced. perhaps it would be healing for you?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Melanie,
    You are brave to open the box and share your journey to healing with us, and I'm grateful. I'm so glad that you trust the Great Physician and that you are going to share the miracle of his work in your life with us.
    I can't imagine how terrible it was/is for you, and I'm so glad you have a family that supports you. Thank you for sharing this, I'm overwhelmed by your faith and your trust in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry this is part of your history, especially on such a celebratory time as Easter. But may I say, how proud I am of you that you shared your heart here. I can imagine that took tremendous courage and I pray it is just one step closer to freedom in healing. Nice to meet you through Imperfect Prose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So thankful you are allowing that wound that was scared over without healing be lanced by His love...so all the ugly can come oozing out and healing can come...and one day...the scar will not be painful to touch...just a reminder of God's grace in your life. blessings and great healing in His love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, words are few, friend, in light of such tragedy and pain. i pray you find your way through it, with God's help. *thank you* for sharing your hurt and your story so honestly with us. i will be doing a little of the same today at my place--you are more than welcome to come read. blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe you are already so much stronger for being willing to address this in such an open way. Again, thank you for sharing such a difficult thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many things to which I can totally relate in your post!!! Thanks for sharing this #tbt post today through our Facebook writing group! A spot that I really liked in the post was that you were willing to make an effort to GIVE YOURSELF GRACE - a license to just chill & go easy on yourself. I find that it helps me with depression/anxiety - if I don't set the bar too high for myself! Praying that your journey of healing is going well! c

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace is always the greatest gift. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you... praying that even now, five years later... there has been greater healing. Although I know often times the memory or the scar can stir up emotions unwanted. Believing with you and for you for complete healing and continued soul/self care! It is vital to our well being!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.