Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Effective : Write 28 Days



successful in producing a desired or intended result

Sometimes I wonder if I'm effective. It's easier for me to look back on all the ways I've been ineffective, but maybe that's just the abuse talking. There's a line from the movie "Pretty Woman" that has always stuck in my head - "The bad stuff is easier to believe." I think that's one thing the abuse taught me to do.

So today for my edification, and possibly yours, I'm making a list of things I've been effective in doing. Maybe this will motivate you to do the same.

1. I raised my children to adulthood.
2. I have open, friendly relationships with my adult children.
3. I navigated (and continue to navigate) the treacherous waters of recovery from abuse.
4. I navigated returning to myself after a long marriage that ended in divorce.
5. I found, redecorated, and moved into the first place I've ever lived on my own.
6. I found a part-time job I really like.
7. I've returned to writing and am beginning to accept that I may be good at it.
8. I like myself (most days).
9. I have maintained lifelong friendships.
10. I am rebuilding my connection with God.

I'm sure there are other things I've been effective at, but 10 seems to prove the point. I have a choice about how I choose to see my life. I can focus on my ineffectiveness, or I can focus on effective opportunities. I'm not talking about seeing life through rose-colored glasses. I'm talking about balance. It may be easier to believe the bad stuff, but we don't have to take the easier path. 

Make your list!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - yes, you should definitely celebrate those major wins in your life, especially against quite a few challenges. Thanks for reminding us that we can all choose to look for the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.