Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Endure : Write 28 Days

By now you all know that I like definitions, so my starting point was to look up the word endure. The initial result did NOT please me. Let me start by saying in my head endure is a positive word. In truth, words are neither good nor bad, but we all have feelings about words (or is that just me?). 

The first definition I found was from The Oxford, which is my go-to source, and I was really disappointed. The Oxford went with "suffer; remain in existence; last". Suffer? Really? Just not where I would have started. But, a little more research offered some better options -  to hold out against; sustain without impairment or yielding; undergo. Somehow this seems more upbeat to me.

Perhaps all this definition anxiety comes from my history. I endured a lot as a kid. But I feel as if I did more than just suffer, remain in existence, and last. I really like to hold out against. I did suffer, but that was only part of the endurance. I definitely held out against the abuse when it was happening, and I have fought tooth and nail to overcome and live a good life. I am succeeding. 

While I'm not glad to have been abused, I believe that early experience of enduring something awful has helped me for the rest of my life. Let's be clear - NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE ABUSE. I am a big believer in looking for the silver lining, and my silver lining has been learning about myself and accepting that I am capable. The experiences we have, whether good, neutral, bad, or traumatic to not define us. We always have choices and options. Some are just harder to see than others. 

Today I choose to embrace the word endure in all it's positivity. I hope you will, too.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to associate endure with negative things; maybe I'm more of a pessimist than I realize? :) I'm glad you're able to find silver linings from tough things. That's a gift. It's the most positive way to live and what I strive to do as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.