Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Possible : Write 28 Days



At first glance, possible, is an adjective to me. Anything is possible - is the first thing that jumped into my head, which is unfortunate since I don't actually believe that. I want that to be true, but it's not.

So I looked up the word in the dictionary. Because that's what I do. I gather information to validate and back up my ideas and beliefs. 

ADJECTIVE Able to be done; within the power or capacity of someone or something.

Much is possible, but anything? I kept reading.

NOUN A person or thing that has the potential to become or do something, especially a potential candidate for a job or membership on a team. 

Now, this I like. A person or thing that has potential. Everyone has the potential to be or do something. There is no arguing with that. (Unless you want to get all philosophical, which I definitely do no!)

I know I keep coming back to this, but at the retreat last weekend I talked about my profile description on this blog. I list myself as a "would-be writer". The other participants balked at my description. We talked about what and how we define being a writer. Is it based on how many articles, stories, or poems we've published? Is the number of books written and published? Does publication or payment for writing factor into one's right to claim that title?

The definition of writer is one who writes. There are no provisos or addendums. One who writes. I am a writer. I will very rarely argue with The Oxford Dictionary.

It's possible I may need to change my profile.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. You are a writer.

    I like that definition too: a person or thing that has potential.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.