Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Ponder : Write 28 Days


Ponder. This is something I like to do. It's falling into that pile of lost arts, like sitting on front porches, chatting with your neighbor while shelling peas, writing long letters, cursive.

This weekend I was given the opportunity to do "Ponder Writing". As I've mentioned before, I went to Rockvale Writers' Colony for a retreat called "The Artist's Way: Rest, Renew, Reveal, wRite". There we were led in pondering Julia Cameron's book and practice, The Artist's Way. After each session, we were given the opportunity to spend some time reading specific portions of the book and then pick a "Ponder Writing" to do (or do them all if we felt so inclined!) 

I did some of them, but certainly not all. Following some of the sessions, I needed unincumbered time to just ponder -- not write. There are two good things about my response. One was the pondering itself. Giving me time to sit with information and just let it weave its way in and through my psyche without much effort. The second good thing was not following the rules and not having guilt. Anyone who's read my writing knows that I'm a rules girl to the nth degree. The idea of breaking a rule (assignment) made by the authority figure (facilitator) would have been anathema to me just a few short years ago.

All of that pondering has made me think about something else. The idea that what we put into our heads (i.e., movies, books, television, conversations, self-talk) impacts how we think about ourselves. I know the damage of negative self-talk! I am the reigning queen in that particular event. But since connecting with the Colony and having other writers be so kind, encouraging and generous toward my writing, I'm beginning to see quite clearly the benefit of saying those positive things to myself and not deflecting praise from others. All I have to say in response is, "Thank you". 

I suppose what I'm getting at here is that to ponder is a valuable use of my time. And I love the synchronicity of having a word prompt that aligns with my weekend retreat. Call it what you will God or serendipity. Either way it's been a blessing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.