Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Made by You Monday: Red Cabbage Salad

Saturday dd and I went to the farmers' market. We planned to buy local honey, artisan cheese, and fresh fruit. We got all those things, but we also stopped at the local CSA stand where they had boxes of produce for sale. I've been considering joining a CSA for the last 2 years, but I was worried about getting things I wouldn't know what to do with, and possibly having a lot of food go to waste. This particular association allows you to buy boxes without signing up in advance, so we decided to give it a try. This is what we came home with -- 
Shortly after arriving at home, the panic set in. This box was chock full of veggies. I mean LOTS of veggies. Like more than I would ever buy in one week. And some of them I'd never even attempted cooking before. I headed for my computer to see what I was going to do with all this healthy goodness to make my family eat it. Luckily, dd was all excited about the possibilities.

We had fresh tomato, basil, and cheese sandwiches for lunch. Heaven!

For dinner I found a recipe for Red Cabbage Salad -- not slaw -- salad. I already had a pork roast and root vegetables in the crock pot, so I thought the salad would be the perfect addition. I was right. It was tasty and easy.

Of course I didn't use the actually recipe because I didn't have all of the ingredients. I suppose you could say I was inspired by it. Here's my variation.

1/2 small head red cabbage, chopped in food processor (about 10 oz.)
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup golden raisins
4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix cabbage through raisins in a bowl. In blender or food processor blend oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss dressing with salad. Chill. Serves 4-6.

Delish!

Next on to kale, red Russian kale, beets, yellow crook neck squash, zucchini, patty pan squash, curly lettuce, cucumbers, English cucumber, sweet potatoes, garlic, and basil. Wish me luck!

link up at Skip to My Lou

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.