Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Location, Location, Location

Describe my location . . . 

Sometimes I think location is more a state of mind. In Thornton Wilder's play "Our Town", Rebecca recounts this episode:

REBECCA:
I never told you about that letter Jane Crofut got from her minister when she was sick. He wrote Jane a letter and on the envelope the address was like this: It said: Jane Crofut; The Crofut Farm; Grover's Corners; Sutton County; New Hampshire; United States of America.

GEORGE:
What's funny about that?

REBECCA:
But listen, it's not finished: the United States of America; Continent of North America; Western Hemisphere; the Earth; the Solar System; the Universe; the Mind of God--that's what it said on the envelope. 


I like that somehow. The way it ties us all up together no matter how many miles may separate us physically, we are all within the Mind of God.

My physical location is a subdivision in south Nashville, Tennessee. Crieve Hall was built mostly in the 1950's, but has retained it's value probably due to its central location, and the fact that there are no major thoroughfares. When we first began looking for a house in this neighborhood (some 18 years ago), I told my husband it was like being sucked into the Bermuda Triangle. You could drive in circles and never get out! 

I really like it though. Our kids went to the neighborhood elementary school that is within walking distance from our house. My son's best friend still lives across the street from us, even though they are both away at the same university now. 

When the weather is nice, we walk around the neighbor, stopping to chat with people and letting all the dogs inspect each other. It's a little like "Leave It to Beaver", but just the good parts. We even had our own Eddie Haskell (but he's grown into a really nice young man). 

We've looked at other houses over the years. Thought about moving into a newer community with all the bells and whistles, but somehow we've never been able to find somewhere else that felt like home. So my home is "quaint" as a recent visitor commented. But that's okay with me, because I'm certainly more "quaint" than "upscale".

linking up with 31 day blog challenge



4 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect place to live

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quote and the idea of all being located in the Mind of God. Beautiful. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds heavenly. I love quaint. In fact, I'd LOVE for someone to describe my home as quaint. It always stirs up memories of cute cottages. So glad you shared! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! Your neighborhood sounds a lot like my own.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.