Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

My Go-To Movies

Movies are a favorite pastime of mine, so this could wind up being like the quotes post a few days ago. I will, however, try to contain my enthusiasm.

Chocolat (2000) -- what's not to love? Johnny Depp, chocolate, Juliette Binoche, Judi Dench, chocolate, Alfred Molina, Carrie-Anne Moss, Lena Olin, Leslie Caron. The music -- ahh! And did I mention, Johnny Depp?

Practical Magic (1998) -- I don't know what it is about this movie? It didn't do well critically, but I just love it. I can watch it over and over again. The music is terrific, and so is the cast. 

Sabrina (1954/1995) -- I love classic films, and it doesn't get any better than the 1954 version. I know I should say I hate the remake, but they did such a nice job with it. Both casts are great, although it might be more of a stretch writing Harrison Ford off as the less appealing brother.

The Fifth Element (1997) -- I'm not a big Bruce Willis fan, but my husband and I watched this movie on vacation long after it came out, and some how it has become one of my favorites. I never tire of it. 

Roman Holiday (1953) -- The movie that gave us Audrey Hepburn. What more could anyone ask of a movie? But add to that Gregory Peck, Eddie Albert, and Rome for the backdrop. Seriously, what else could you possibly need!?!?

National Treasure (2004) -- I know. It's Disney. It's Nicholas Cage. It's like gummy bears -- you just can't help yourself. Totally far-fetched, but some of the dialog is just so darn entertaining. And did I mention I was a history major in college?

The Net (1995) -- Sandra Bullock (when she was a baby), Dennis Miller, the internet, conspiracy theories. Far-fetched you say? Maybe, maybe not. Still a good watch for a cold winter's night with a pizza on the side.

The Saint (1997) -- I loved the tv show, "The Saint", when I was a kid. Roger Moore and that adorable little saint pin. And he was anything but. Val Kilmer is quite remarkable in the film version, with some wonderfully memorable lines. Cold fusion, who cares?

Star Trek (2009) -- I am a trekkie from way back when, but I never have embraced the movies. That is until my husband showed me this one. Oh my word, I simply can't get enough of it. I can't pick a favorite. Maybe it's that they paid such glorious homage to the original tv series, without going overboard. I'm just praying the sequel holds up half as well.

A Little Princess (1995) -- No disrespect to Shirley Temple (and you should certainly watch that version) but this is simply a beautiful adaptation of Frances Hodgson Burnett's tale of a riches to rags to riches child.

Honorable Mentions:

Galaxy Quest (1999)
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
Shawshank Redemption (1994)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
The Secret Garden (1993)
Despicable Me (2010)

Don't judge me by my taste in films. There is no rhyme or reason for what catches my interest. I won't judge your lists either :)




linking up with 31 Day Blog Challenge

6 comments:

  1. I love National Treasure!! I watch it every time I catch it on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I forgot Princess Bride on my list. LOVE that movie so much, and seen it so many time. As you wish....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Mel. I'm glad you stood up for Practical Magic, Sabrina, and The Net, which are all maligned for reasons I never understood (well, except The Net, which does force geeks to really push their level of disbelief - I was willing to go there, and found it compelling even with the computer science being appalling).
    Manly Me won't let the rest of me see Chocolat, and I'm letting Manly Me win on that one.
    Fifth Element is in my top fifteen at least, and probably my top ten. Princess Bride is top three. It's become fashionable to pan anything with Nic Cage in it, which is ridiculous when it comes to National Treasure, and that goes for the sequel as well. Would watch either in a heartbeat.
    But what do I know? I also loved - still do - Deep Impact...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your list! National Treasure - can't count how many times I've watched that and still drop everything to watch if it's on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen many movies but I would bet that my grandson would love the Star Trek movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for another Trekkie! Star Trek is also on my list!

    And I simply love the Fifth Element. It's such an awesome movie!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.