Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wonder

won·der [wuhn-der]
verb (used without object)
1. to think or speculate curiously
2. to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe; marvel (often followed by at)



This word keeps popping up around me. I recently read Wonder by R. J. Palacio, and it was inspiring, causing me to think and speculate. 

I wonder about lots of things. I wonder what my life would have looked like without the abuse. I wonder why the abuse happened. I wonder why certain people came into my life at various times, some bringing terrible, awfulness, and others bringing love and joy.

I wonder what the future holds for me and my family. What dreams will be realized, and what will be lost. I wonder about the future of this world. What will become of our country.

And I wonder about wondering. And I realize I need to change my definition. I focus on "to think or speculate curiously", when in reality I would be much better served with "to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe". 

So just for today I am going to wonder at the warmth of the sun, and how its appearance lifts my spirit and opens my heart. I'm going to wonder at the blue of the spring sky, and the tiny blossoms on my cherry tree. I'm going to wonder at the fog that floated across my back yard this morning as my dogs wandered around sniffing and wondering their own wonders.

I wonder what wonders I will see.

linking up with Write at the Merge

(photo credit Alan Pennington)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this thoughtful piece- we all need to reframe our views of the world sometimes and remember the wonder of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe.", we really do need to step back and look at the world through different eyes from time to time...and see the beauty in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece was a gentle reminder for me too-to see the wonders in life, and not wonder so much. Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh. This was lovely. I often have the same 1st definition of wonders. Those wonders really shape and define our view of the world. And the beauty of the wonder that is us, is that we are survivors. You, my friend, are a beautiful wonder. Thanks for touching my heart with this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.