Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Remember

Remember . . . 

I remember sitting at the table for lunch. The other girls were talking and laughing. Ann was getting sandwiches ready for us. White bread with cheese. Milk to drink.

She sat my plate down in front of me. The one girl ask what was wrong with me, and the other girl said, "She's in a bad mood" while Ann said, "She's just tired".

The girls went back to talking. I sat immobilized -- too tired, stunned, shocked to eat.

They finish their lunch, and Ann shoos them outside to play. She tells me to go lie down. She'll save my sandwich for later. She never does that.

I lie down on the bed (which is never allowed once the bed is made). Ann covers me with an afghan. Why is she being nice to me? I melt away into sleep.

Remember the barn? Remember the terrible things that happened there? I'd rather go to sleep instead.

linking up with Five Minute Friday



4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to check out that bam. Glad to meet you here at FMF. Great word remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for bravely sharing your story, your stories.

    Stories unite us, and offer wisdom and bravery to those struggling in similar situations.

    As a librarian, I'm sure you already know this. Just wanted to encourage you to keep sharing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful little piece - a lot of impact in very few words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice p great work. (BTW I joined you site and was number 99 - you are about to roll over the odometer on 100 members ... cool.)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.