Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday

Last year this was my Easter post

I'm glad I'm not there currently. The past few weeks have been difficult -- my father in law is ill with pulmonary fibrosis; I had another flashback and all the aftershocks of that have taken a toll on my mood and spirits. My husband is working fulltime, in grad school, and dealing with his father's declining health. It's enough to put anyone in a funk.

I've worked hard to be kind to myself, to keep remembering that I am not less for feeling low. We made it to worship this morning, and I am so glad. Our lesson was on Esther (as we are working through the Bible this year), and the minister acknowledged it was an unusual topic for Easter Sunday. 

He shared that even though God is never mentioned in the book of Esther, He is still fully present. Just because we don't see or feel God, doesn't mean He has abandoned us. This was a particularly good reminder for me today. 

Our skies are cloudy, and it's damp and windy. Not the way Easter is supposed to feel. But my mood and struggles, or the weather itself, cannot change the fact of Easter. 

Easter is the rest of the story, after we get beyond Good Friday and sadness and absence left by the death of our Savior. Easter Sunday is the realization of the promise fulfilled. Death is conquered! There is nothing left to fear! It's the ultimate come back story. 

And I can feel peace even in difficult times, because He came back for me.

Blessings to all.

2 comments:

  1. Prayers for your father-in-law. Thank you for such a beautiful post about the promise of a new beginning. Sending prayers and blessings for you and your family.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your last year's Easter post, I'm just speechless. I have no words of comfort that wouldn't sound silly or trite. I will say that I absolutely admire your courage, determination, and Faith, and how you've spoken out about your experience {and I'm sure provided a voice to others by doing so}. While I've never experienced what you have, I have found myself unable to find joy and peace at times. Struggling with major depression is something I've dealt with since my late teens and, as a Christian, I always feel guilty, like I should be able to snap out of it. Thank you for sharing your story. Praying comfort, peace and healing for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.